Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Flooded Apartment

I had an amazing new year up in the northwest corner of Thailand. I went to a very small town called Um Phang and was one of less than 10 farang (what thais call tourists) in the whole area (I'll post about it real soon. I have a million pics to sort through first!). We had a really long weekend which is the only reason I was able to get that far away and still have enough time to explore and enjoy it.

Last night I took a night bus back to BKK arriving this morning at 5:25am. They are pretty painful, but it’s worth it. I made it back to my place just before 6:30 and walked into a musky smelling room. I was kinda surprised since I really don’t have that much stuff here and didn’t remember leaving any smelly clothes laying around. Then I slowly started to realize what happened... My room had flooded while I was away! There was no one around to ask any questions and I only had 30 mins before I had to leave for school. I thought maybe it rained since I left my balcony door wide open…nope.

Eventually I found that the little water sprayer next to the toilet had broken. (I never use the thing so I’m not sure why or how). I quickly laid all the wet clothes, soaked books, speakers and papers out to dry. Somehow my journal, school books, lesson plans, and most stuff seemed to survive. I did lose my diploma (a $50 piece of paper), the speakers may come back to life but I am not holding my breath, my toilet paper, random papers that I will never be able to read again so hopefully they were not important, some fun reading books and my Sudoku one. Overall, it really wasn’t bad. I took most of my valuable stuff with me – my cameras, computer and passport.

I found out when I came back from school that the water had been clear out my front door which is in the opposite corner as the bathroom! For a room that fully flooded I am very happy with the outcome! And I am very glad that no one could reach me and tell me about it while I was away. No sense worrying about a little H2O.

Classes went well today, but I am excited to sleep in a bed tonight!

1 comment:

  1. The damage was minimal, so yeah, I guess it really wasn’t that bad. That’s good to know. It’s one thing to clean a flooded room, but to restore your damaged stuff, especially those important documents is totally a whole new matter. I hope you don’t have to go through this again. Take care!

    Gail Wallace @ Emergency Flood Masters

    ReplyDelete